Understanding the structure and the fields
- Each Calibration Event can have several Measurement Groups or none at all.
- Each Measurement Group can have any number of measurements to it.
- Each Measurement Group has its own tolerance, unit of measure, and calibration standards.
For example, the diagram below is a single Calibration Event with three Measurement Groups
and a different number of Measurements for each Group.
A Simple Calibration Event
The following image shows a Calibration Event without Measurements, as is often
the case when recording Calibrations handled by an external calibration laboratory.
The Technician, Temperature, and Humidity fields are usually not required in the
outside lab scenario because this data is usually included on the calibration certificate.
Calibration Event Fields
- Date: Date the Calibration Event took place. This field
defaults to today's date.
- Company: The organization that calibrated the equipment,
like your own company (Internal) or an external calibration laboratory.
- Technician: The individual who performed the calibration.
This field is auto populated from the Technician field on the parent Equipment record.
- Procedures: Read-only list of procedures, which can be edited
in the Equipment dialog.
- Temp (Temperature): Enter the ambient temperature of the
room where the calibration is performed. If a THUM device
(USB hygrometer) is plugged and configured this field will auto populate.
- Humidity: Enter the Relative Humidity of the room where the
calibration is performed. This field is also auto populated with a
configured THUM device.
- As Found: Record the condition the equipment was received
for calibration (e.g., Out of Tolerance or In Tolerance). This field gets auto
populated when the results are tied to the results of the Measurement Groups.
- As Left: Record the condition of the equipment at the end
of the Calibration Event. This field is auto populated when using Measurement
Groups because the results of the groups is tied to the overall result of the Calibration
- Remarks: Use this field for any remarks related to the Calibration
Measurement Group Fields
- Tolerance Type: Set as None, Percent (%), Tolerance (+/-),
and Limit Values. The following is the result of each type:
- None: The Upper and Lower Limits are exact the same as the
- Percent (%): [Upper Limit = Nominal + (Nominal x Plus Tolerance)]
and [Lower Limit = Nominal - (Nominal x Minus Tolerance)]
- Tolerance (+/-): [Upper Limit = Nominal + Plus Tolerance]
and [Lower Limit = Nominal = Minus Tolerance]
- Limit Values: Both the Upper and Lower Limit values are edited
for each measurement.
- Mask: Number mask used to set the Integers spaces (number
places to left of decimal) and significant digits (number places to right of the
decimal). The Number Mask field formats all numeric fields in the given Measurement
- As Found: Automatically In Tolerance (green) or Out of Tolerance
(pink) dependent on the value of the As Found Result column in the Measurement Grid
below (yellow area). If any record has a failing result (red X), the Measurement
Group As Found value will be Out of Tolerance.
- As Left: Automatically Pass (green) or Fail (pink) dependent
on the value of the As Left Result field in the Measurement Grid below (blue area).
If any record as a failing result (red x), the Measurement Group As Left value will
- Units: Select the Unit of Measurement for all number fields
(e.g., measurements and tolerances) in the current Measurement Group. If a
different Measurement Unit is required for the same Calibration Event, then create
an additional Measurement Group in the Event. Edit the selections available
in the Units combo box from the Measure Units screen accessible from the main screen.
- Standards: Select the Calibration Standards used for the
measurements in the current Measurement Group. Add additional items to the
Standard combo box by checking the 'Is Calibration / Test Standard' checkbox
in the Equipment Edit dialog, Calibrations tab. If the Equipment identified as Calibration
Standards have a Calibration Due date of greater than the current day AND with
their most recent (if any) Calibration Event as Passing, then it will be selectable
when clicking on the Standards link button. (Standards that need calibration are still shown but cannot be selected.)
- Measurement Notes: Add any notes specific to the current
- Quick Menu (Right-Click Popup Dialog): Initiate any of the following Group
Actions by selecting the desired action from the right-click popup menu.
- Rename Group: Change the default name of Measurement Group. Also accessible by double-clicking on the Measurement Group name.
- Delete Group: Deletes the current group.
- Auto Fill After: Toggles the feature for automatically filling
the As Left field with the same value as the As Found field. This feature
is useful for equipment that can only be checked that is in tolerance but cannot
be adjusted or otherwise calibrated.
- Show (Hide) Description: Toggles the visibility of the Desc
(Description) field in the Measurements Grid.
- Make Measurement Template: Instantly creates a Measurement Template
from the current collection of Measurement Groups. Edit all existing templates through the Measurement Template button on the main screen ribbon. Assign
Measurement Templates to Equipment Types, Model Numbers, and individual Equipment.
- Add Sequences to New Measurements: Automatically add a sequential
number to the Seq (sequence) measurement column, thereby keeping the measurements
in the same order as entered.
Each calibration event has several additional fields, which can be renamed.
Included are several text, date, numeric, and Boolean. Edit these and other
field names by clicking the Edit Form Labels button
in the Options dialog.
Within the Custom Fields tab there are three additional fields that are not custom.
- Certificate: A sequential number is assigned to each Calibration
Event. This number is automatically used as the Certificate number unless
another value is entered in this field. To set a manual value automatically for this field, see the Date and Number Masks topic for instructions.
- Cal Cost: The actual cost of this Calibration Event.
- Cal Time: The actual time required to perform this Calibration
Approval / Equipment Used
Checking the check box in this tab will Approve and Lock the current Calibration
Event record. If the current user is signed-in at the time the box is checked,
that user's name will be tied to the approval of the Event.
This tab also has the second purpose of displaying the details of the Calibration
Standards used during the Calibration Event. These details are a snapshot
of the Calibration Standards at the time they were added to the Calibration Event. Jump to Standards topic.
Calibration Measurements Scatter Plot
The Scatter Plot tab displays a Scatter Plot of the measurements entered for a given
Measurement Group. In-Tolerance As Found measurements are displayed Green
while out-of-tolerance measurements are Red.
Last updated: 5 Nov 2015
Compatibility: Calibration Control Version 8.6 and higher