Edit Equipment Records
Use the Equipment dialog to edit all data related to your tool / test equipment.
Change the name of any field to continue using
words that make sense to your organization. If the field name* looks like a hyperlink, you can click on it to add new values in the drop-down list of available
Equipment Dialog Fields
- Equipment ID: The unique identification you give your own
tools / test equipment and is often referred to as Asset Number. This is the
only required field for a new record.
- Serial Num: The unique identification the manufacturer gives
their tools / test equipment. (You may periodically find that some manufacturers
do not assign serial numbers or that a serial number label has fallen off.)
- Model*: The model number of the tool / test equipment usually
assigned by the manufacturer.
- Description: Description of the tool model number, which
automatically changes to reflect the description of the model field (above).
After you select a Model number, the Description field can be edited.
- Manufacturer*: The company that made the equipment/tool.
This field is also automatically set if you choose an existing Model Number from
the Model combo box.
- Equip Type*: Classification system developed by you, the
user of Calibration Control. (Examples of Equipment Types include Caliper,
6" Caliper, Thermatron, Oven, etc.) This field will automatically populate
if an existing Model Number is chosen and has a Type field assigned.
- Site: Company field for geographic Site or Company.
- Department*: The department in your organization where the
tool is currently located.
- Location*: The location within the department where the tool
is currently located. (This could be a specific work area or even an engineer's
- Custodian*: The individual who has custody or possession
of the Equipment/Tool.
- Personal Property: Does this equipment belong to someone
other than the company? There is also an Owner combo field in the Other tab.
- Status*: The status of the tool / test equipment (e.g., accepted,
removed from service, failed calibration, or any other status you need).
- Alternate ID: This is a second ID field, the Equipment ID
being the first. Use this field to record a company Asset number, if it is
not the same as the Equipment ID, or your customer's Equipment ID.
- Procedures: Relate your calibration procedures to your equipment
by clicking on the Procedures link button and selecting the desired procedure. See more below.
- Notes: Like the user fields, use the notes field for whatever
purpose your team needs.
Link Procedures to Tools
In the Equipment dialog, click on the Procedures hyperlink button to bring up the dialog shown below and
link procedures to the current tool / test equipment.
Visit the Procedures help topic.
Calibrations Tab of Equipment Record
- Calibration Event: Click on the [New] button at the bottom
of the dialog to create a new Calibration Event.
- [Calibration] Last: The date of the last calibration is set
automatically when you enter a new Calibration Event with a Status
of Pass. You can also set the Calibration Last date manually, which automatically
updates the Calibration Next field based on the value of your Frequency field.
- [Calibration] Next: The date of the next calibration is calculated
automatically when you enter a new passing calibration event or when you manually
update the Calibration Last field. In either situation, the next calibration
date is calculated based on your chosen Frequency and Units. You may override
the automatically calculated date, described next.
- Override Calibration Next: Manually extend or otherwise override
the Calibration Next date by checking the checkbox to the right of the Calibration
- Received: The date when equipment is received for Calibration.
- Template: Measurement Template used when creating new calibration
- Frequency / Units: The frequency between calibrations, like
yearly or semi-annual. If you choose a frequency that requires a unit multiplier
(e.g., weeks, days, or months), the Units field will enable where you can adjust
the number of units (weeks, days, or months, etc.). The 'Month of'
and 'Week of' frequencies set a general due date of an entire month or week.
- [Calibration] Company*: The organization (Calibration Company)
that regularly calibrates this instrument. This is a useful field when you
want to create a report of all the equipment due in a given period for a specific
- Technician: The person who normally calibrations this instrument.
- Is Calibration/Test Standard: Check this box if the current
equipment is used as a calibration standard for other equipment.
- Certificate: Number of the certificate issued by the organization
responsible for the last calibration event. Used primarily to aid in traceability
back to a national measurement standard, especially if this equipment is a Calibration/Test
Custom Tab Fields
Here are extra fields available in text, date, number, and checkbox format for you to easily
rename and use for whatever you need.
Notes About The Notes Tab
Use the Notes tab to record any notes you want to maintain over time. The
date/time is automatically entered. If User Sign-In Mode is on, the name of the individual
who created the note is automatically entered as well.
Attachments and Pictures
Visit the Attachments and Pictures help topic.
Something About the Other Tab
- Label & Report Overrides: While default labels and reports
are defined at an global (application) level in the Options dialog, Overrides for
the Labels and Reports listed here can be entered for this specific Equipment.
- Check Out Group: Using the Check
In/Out dialog automatically populates the following fields:
- By: The Checked Out By field shows the person who has checked out
- Date: The Checked Out Date field shows the most recent date this
Equipment was checked out, and only populates if it is checked out. When not checked out, this field is
- Use Count: Number of times this Equipment was checked out
since its last Calibration.
- Miscellaneous Group
- Owner: The Equipment Owner (Person field), if not the organization.
- [Equipment] System: System that this Equipment belongs to.
- Barcodes: Use this field to add additional barcodes to your
record that may already be on the equipment. This field is useful when you
do not want to add additional bar-coded labels and you want Calibration Control
to recognize the barcode labels already affixed to the equipment.
- Equip Cost: The purchase price or calibration cost of the
Equipment, your choice.
- Acquired: Acquisition date of the equipment.
- In Service: In-Service date of the equipment.
- Cal Cost: The standard (normal) cost of calibrating this
- Time: The standard amount of time required to calibrate this
Last updated: 5 Nov 2015
Compatibility: Calibration Control version 8.0 to current