Create required fields in Calibration Control (our Calibration Management Software) to ensure that particular fields of any dialog has a value.
- Define which dialog field(s) must be required for data input.
- Customize highlight colors of required fields; color changes once the requirement of data entry is met.
- Add a custom message to display if users attempt to save a record or submit changes without addressing the required field.
Follow the below instructions to set up Required Fields.
First, Make Hidden Feature Visible
Required Fields are created in Procedural Groups, which is a hidden feature by default, and must first be made visible on your ribbon menu. To un-hide it, go to File > Options > Advanced tab > Visibility > Data Grids tab, and un-check the checkbox for Procedural Groups. Restart the Calibration Control program to enable visibility changes, and the feature icon will be visible on your ribbon menu (unhidden in the Data Grids' Work Flow section).
Create a New Procedural Group
Select Procedural Groups from the Data Grids tab of the ribbon menu to view the Procedural Groups grid. Create or add a new Procedural Group record by clicking the green [+] icon on the ribbon menu or [Ctrl+N], by double-clicking in the gray space around the grid, or right-clicking in the grid and selecting "New Record" from the context menu.
Required Fields as Procedural Group Type
The Procedural Group dialog contains the following fields for creating your Required Field:
- Group Name: Add a unique Group name (i.e., "Required Fields for Equipment Record")
Code: The Code field is to name the kind of record (dialog) wherein you want to create a Required Field. Below are some names for your reference:
- Group Type: Required Fields
- Active: Ensure the Active checkbox is marked.
This is where you'll add your required field(s) information.
The syntax for a required field is:
Field Name|Custom field name|Tooltip message
(Custom error message)
Field Name: This is the actual field name that is in your database. Below are some Equipment dialog field names for your reference:
- Custom Field name: This custom field name will be used in your error message instead of the actual field name.
Tooltip message: Optional. This message will appear when hovering over a required field.
Note: You can add more than one required field, by adding required fields on the next line.
- Custom error message: Optional. You can add a custom message that will appear above the default error message when a user attempts to submit a form with a missing required field. You can do this by adding an additional line with your message inside parentheses.
- Field Name: This is the actual field name that is in your database. Below are some Equipment dialog field names for your reference:
Sample Required Field: Location
Below are three graphics in creating a required Location field in an Equipment record:
1. Below is the Procedural Group dialog for the Required Field, including an optional hover note:
2. Below demonstrates an optional custom hover note appearing when the cursor hovers over the Required Field.
3. Below demonstrates the Missing Required Field, letting the user know they cannot submit changes or save the Equipment record until populating the required Location field.
Required Field Highlight Colors
The Required fields feature uses Highlight colors to indicate whether a required field has been filled out. By default, a required field is highlighted light green when it has a value or light pink when it is empty. Optionally, you can edit custom highlight colors in Program Options > Advanced tab > Highlight Colors > Good Response & Bad Response.
Get Ape Support
If you need assistance setting up the Required Fields feature, contact us and we can do this together.