Data Imported To MS Access
How to Deploy Your Imported Data
This help topic only applies to the [MS Access] database format. If using SQL Server, refer to the Add Ape Database to SQL Server help topic. If a data import was arranged with Ape Database Software, you will receive your imported database in a zip file through either a download link or an email attachment. To deploy the database yourself, follow the instructions below. Otherwise, contact us and we'll take care of everything through a screen share.
Deploy Database (Scenario A)
Proceed to Scenario B (below) if the Application has already been used on this computer to access a database. Otherwise, continue with this section.
- Download & Unzip: Download, unzip, and place the imported database in the desired folder. This may either be on the local computer or a network location, if the database will be accessed by multiple users.
- Choose Database Format: Start the Application and select the [MS Access] button. If the Application starts in a different screen (i.e., the Choose Database Format dialog doesn't appear), proceed to the next section (below) titled Deploy Database - Replace Temp.
- Choose Database Type: Select [BROWSE to Existing Database] from the Choose Database Type window.
- Select Database: Navigate to the database you downloaded and unzipped (step 1), select, and click the [Open] button and the software should open with the imported data visible.
- Common Files Folder: If the database was placed in a network location and/or multiple users will access the software, refer to the Common Files Folder section of Creating a Multi-User Environment to setup the Files Folder.
Remove Old Database (Scenario B)
If the Application was previously used with a blank or sample database, the files already present should be removed or renamed before proceeding.
- Open Data Folder: After the Application is running, open the Data Folder by clicking [File] in the top-left of the screen and selecting "Open Data Folder". Confirm the existence of the database file (apecal.mdb or apecal_sample.mdb). This is the quickest and most accurate way of finding the current database. Leave this window open and proceed to the next step.
- Open Settings Folder: Using the same menu as the previous step, open the Settings Folder. If the Settings Folder is the same location (file path) as in the previous step (i.e., Data Folder), close one of the windows. Note that by default, the Data Folder (previous step) and the Settings Folder are the same location but this will not always be true if the temporary database is moved.
- Close Program: Close the Application so the database files can be moved, renamed, and/or replaced.
- Rename or Move Files: Although the data files can be renamed, it's easier to move ALL the files in the Settings and Data folders to a backup location (e.g., "Data Backup - Current Date"). Cleaning out these folders will create the conditions required for a clean first-run of the imported data.
- Scenario A: Proceed with Scenario A (above).
Refer to the Database Import Process article for general questions about the process itself.
Other useful help topics:
Last updated: 23 Nov 2016