Edit Equipment Records
Use the Equipment dialog to edit all data related to the tool / test equipment. Change the name of any field to continue using words that make sense to your organization. If the field name* looks like a hyperlink, click on it to add new values in the drop-down list of available values (combos).
Equipment Dialog Fields
- Equipment ID: The unique identification given to your own tools / test equipment and is often referred to as an Asset Number. This is the only required field for a new record.
- Serial Num: The unique identification the manufacturer gives their tools / test equipment. (You may periodically find that some manufacturers do not assign serial numbers or that a serial number label has fallen off.)
- Model*: The model number of the tool / test equipment usually assigned by the manufacturer.
- Size/Range*: The size or range of the equipment.
- Description: Description of the tool model number, which automatically changes to reflect the description of the model field (above). After a Model number is selected, the Description field can be edited.
- Manufacturer*: The company that made the equipment/tool. This field is also automatically set if an existing Model Number from the Model combo box is chosen.
- Equip Type*: Classification system developed by you, the user of Calibration Control. (Examples of Equipment Types include Caliper, 6" Caliper, Thermatron, Oven, etc.) This field will automatically populate if an existing Model Number is chosen and has a Type field assigned.
- Site*: Company field for a geographic Site or Company.
- Department*: The department in your organization where the tool is currently located.
- Location*: The location within the department where the tool is currently located. (This could be a specific work area or even an engineer's desk.)
- Custodian*: The individual who has custody or possession of the Equipment/Tool.
- Personal Property: Does this equipment belong to someone other than the company? There is also an Owner combo field in the Other tab.
- Status*: The status of the tool / test equipment (e.g., accepted, removed from service, failed calibration, or any other status needed).
- Alternate ID: This is a second ID field, the Equipment ID being the first. Use this field to record a company Asset number, if it is not the same as the Equipment ID, or a customer's Equipment ID.
- Procedures*: Relate calibration procedures to equipment by clicking on the Procedures link button and selecting the desired procedure.
- Notes: Like the User fields, use the Notes field for whatever purpose needed.
Link Procedures to Tools
In the Equipment dialog, click on the Procedures hyperlink button to bring up the dialog shown below and link procedures to the current tool / test equipment. Visit the Procedures help topic for more information on how to do this.
Calibrations Tab of Equipment Record
- Calibration Event: Click on the [New] button at the bottom of the dialog to create a new Calibration Event.
- [Calibration] Last: The date of the last calibration is set automatically when entering a new Calibration Event with a Status of Pass. The Calibration Last date can be set manually, which automatically updates the Calibration Next field based on the value of the Frequency field.
- [Calibration] Next: The date of the next calibration is calculated automatically when entering a new passing calibration event or when manually updating the Calibration Last field. In either situation, the next calibration date is calculated based on the chosen Frequency and Units.
- Override Calibration Next [check box]: Manually extend or otherwise override the Calibration Next date by checking the box to the right of the Calibration Next field.
- Received [for calibration]: The date when equipment is received for Calibration.
- Frequency / Units: The frequency between calibrations, like yearly or semi-annual. If choosing a frequency that requires a unit multiplier (e.g., weeks, days, or months), the Units field will enable to adjust the number of units (weeks, days, or months, etc.). The 'Month of' and 'Week of' frequencies set a general due date of an entire month or week.
- Standard [check box]: Check this box if the current equipment is used as a calibration standard for other equipment.
- Company*: The organization (Calibration Company) that regularly calibrates this instrument. This is a useful field when wanting to create a report of all the equipment due in a given period for a specific calibration resource.
- Technician*: The person who normally calibrates this instrument.
- Certificate: Number of the certificate issued by the organization responsible for the last calibration event. Used primarily to aid in traceability back to a national measurement standard, especially if this equipment is a Calibration/Test Standard.
- Template: Measurement Template used when creating new calibration events.
Custom Tab Fields
Here are extra fields available in text, date, number, and checkbox format to easily rename and use for whatever needed.
Use the Notes tab to record any notes to maintain over time. The date/time is automatically entered. If User Sign-In Mode is on, the name of the individual who created the note is automatically entered as well. The New Note dialog is shown below.
Attachments and Pictures
Visit the Attachments and Pictures help topic.
Something About the Other Tab
- Label & Report Overrides: While default labels and reports are defined at a global (application) level in the Options dialog, overrides for the Labels and Reports listed here can be entered for this specific Equipment.
Check Out Group: Using the
Check In/Out dialog
automatically populates the following fields:
- By*: The Checked Out By field shows the person who has checked out the Equipment.
- Date: The Checked Out Date field shows the most recent date this Equipment was checked out, and only populates if it is checked out. When not checked out, this field is blank.
- Use Count: Number of times this Equipment was checked out since its last Calibration.
- Owner*: The Equipment Owner (Person field), if not the organization.
- [Equipment] System*: System that this Equipment belongs to.
- Barcodes*: Use this field to add additional barcodes to the record that may already be on the equipment. This field is useful when no additional bar-coded labels are needed and Calibration Control will recognize the barcode labels already affixed to the equipment.
- Equip Cost: The purchase price or calibration cost of the Equipment.
- Acquired: Acquisition date of the equipment.
- In Service: In-Service date of the equipment.
- Cal Cost: The standard (normal) cost of calibrating this Equipment.
- Time: The standard amount of time required to calibrate this Equipment.
Last Updated: 10 January 2018